Thursday, November 21, 2019

A White Elephant Quilt Swap

My most recent project has taken me more time to complete than I initially anticipated. I’ve been participating in the White Elephant Quilt Swap 2019 hosted by Janelle from @tinyquiltswaps
It’s a genius swap project though up by Janelle where you make a mini-quilt (note here I said “mini”) that you want to make and everyone votes at the end for their favourites, and that helps to determine who gets each quilt.



I decided that this was my opportunity to finally make the 'Lady in Red' pattern byNessie505, and I already had purchased the fabric and knew I wanted to make her in some purple-blue Tula fabrics. I shrunk the pattern to 75% of its original size so that my finished pattern would be 18” x 36”. I could have gone 12”x 24” but decided against it as one of the fabrics I had chosen was The Hypnotizer from Tula Pink’s 2015 “Chipper” collection and I felt the scale of the print deserved to be a bit bigger, so my quilt ended up being a bit bigger than a “mini”.

It was pointed out after I started that it would be a great swap to use some existing orphan blocks up, something I have plenty of as you probably know from reading my other posts, but by this time I had already started my new quilt, posted photos and was committed.

So why did it take me so long? Well, first I may have been a bit over-ambitious with my quilting. I really stretched my skills with this one, while the end result was definitely worth the effort, I did have a finished quilt that wasn’t quite square and needed fixing.



I am also sewing-time poor at the moment, as since moving my 2-year-old has decided that his day-sleep is optional and therefore I don’t get the same amount of time to spend designing and creating until he starts kindy next year. I also have several other secret projects happening in the background and a long list of custom-order pattern designs to create as well. Plus I’m gearing up for the Spring Fling Sew Along next year. Nevertheless, I did get my quilt finished before the deadline and also added a zipper at the back to make it a pillow cover for whoever ends up getting her (that’s still a secret that hasn’t been decided).



I'm sure whoever receives her will love her, and I am super excited to vote for my favourites (there are some awesome quilts and you can see them here on Instagram) and find out which one I will be receiving!

I really enjoyed making 'Lady in Red' and highly recommend it for anyone who knows how to foundation piece. The pattern is available from ByNessie505’s Etsy store.

Happy piecing!
RJ

No comments:

Post a Comment