Sunday, September 1, 2019

Making something just for the fun of it.

I've been a bit naughty and I don't feel guilty about it either. 

I made something from my quilty bucket list - 'Distractions' by Blossom Heart Quilts! Its a foundation paper pieced pattern that is available in Issue 16 of Make Modern Magazine.



You might be wondering why I have no guilt about starting a new project?
Well to start with, I also finished it! 


The other thing is to be completely honest I needed a break. I’ve done pretty well so far finishing off some of my in-progress quilts, but I was feeling recently that my sewing was more “work” than “fun”. I needed to make something fun that wasn’t scheduled and is just for me. Something to re-inspire me and help me stop avoiding the sewing machine. This was a great small project to do that with, plus still get it finished in one day.

The other reason is that it is a great pattern for using up some of my ever-growing fabric stash! In fact, I didn’t buy a single thing to make this. Everything came from my stash including the wadding/batting and the cushion insert!

This helped me to realise two things
1. I have some cool stuff in my stash.
Check out the cool black and white fabric I used for my border and backing for example. It's been at the bottom of a box for a really long time and how perfect is it for this project!


2. I need to have a clear out, as some of the fabrics I have there, I will probably never use.

When I say the entire thing was made from my stash I mean it, I got to use some of the scraps from my overflowing scrap box, the black came from a skirt I tried to make years ago (and it was a disaster) which has been waiting around for me to fix (that was never going to happen).



This pattern was fantastic for using up my scraps and I got to dig around in my stash for the border and backing fabric. The example in Issue 16 of Make Modern Magazine used an off-white background with a grey border, but I decided to use black and the funky black and white flower print for my border for this one, which I think makes it really quite striking.

Worth noting: During September 2019 if you make ANY pattern from ANY issue of Make Modern Magazine and tag #highfivemakemodern on Instagram you could win some pretty awesome prizes like fabric bundles, patterns, books and magazine subscriptions. So if you have any patterns on your bucket list - now's probably a good time to make it!

I'm going to keep this cushion just for me. I really like it and it also serves as a reminder not to put too much pressure on myself, which is something I have been doing lately.

Hope you are having some great quilty adventures of your own!

Happy piecing!
RJ

No comments:

Post a Comment