Sunday, July 21, 2019

The Work in Progress Project: Chapter Six: Shaping Up!

Here I am with another update and another proud finish for The Work in Progress Project!

I'm really happy to say that I have finished my second version of the Shape-O Quilt ! It turned out really well and I'm really proud of it. Personally, I think this is one of the best quilts I have made, as I pushed myself a bit and tried something different for the quilting. Plus I had a clear plan of my fabric choices before I started, which I think paid dividends in the finished quilt.

Shape-O Toy Quilt Complete!

For this version, I used a collection of fabric called Bounce by Allison Harris for Windham Fabrics for the top and binding. I love this collection of fabric and I think it suited this quilt so well. Plus that Aqua Bouncing Balls border (which I made slightly wider than the original pattern), just makes the whole thing 'pop'.


I dug into my stash and found some funky purple and green stripey fabric for the backing and used 100% cotton batting from Spotlight. It was quilted using plain white Gutermann Thread, using a square to start and working my way out in lines following the square shape - sort of like a square spiral.



I didn't want the quilting to be perfect, so I didn't use any rulers and the spacing between each line is a bit uneven, but that was actually the way I planned it - and I LOVE it!


I think this quilt would make an awesome play-mat or gift for a new baby and because I'm so proud of it and can't bear to part with it, I'm planning to stash it away for my next niece or nephew (whenever that happens).

I'm slowly finishing the WIP's I have going on. I think I will try to concentrate on my Grandmother's Garden Lap Quilt next - but don't hold your breath, as you know, I'm easily distracted!

Happy piecing!

RJ

No comments:

Post a Comment