Monday, May 20, 2019

Check out the new Pop-Art Baby Quilt - The Shape - O Quilt!


Isn't it funny how inspiration can strike you at any time and anything you see could be a quilt pattern? I was inspired to design the Shape-O Quilt while I was cleaning up the kids' toys in my house one day. I had a quick look and couldn't see any other quilt pattern quite like it - but there should be, right? Tupperware's Shape-O Toy Puzzle has been in households since the 1960s and is still loved by children all over the world!

At first, I thought that I would just make a block for the Shape - O Ball, but it quickly grew into a full-sized quilt pattern, which would make an excellent baby quilt. The pattern includes 11 foundation paper pieced blocks, all the shape - blocks are representative of the actual shapes included with a Shape-O Toy. 


Then I added the 2" border, using a fabric called 'Shape Up' by Little Quack Fabrics on Spoonflower. The finished quilt measured 26 x 26", which made it a great size for a bassinet blanket:



After drafting the pattern and making my first version, I discovered that I had included a very generous fabric allowance, however, I figured that it's always better to have too much than too little and I could use my leftover in other projects in the future. I also wanted to make sure there was enough for someone who pieced differently or someone who is new to the technique and needed a bit more for mistakes. 

Lisa was one of my testers for the quilt and she changed the layout on her quilt slightly, but it still looks very effective. 


Lisa said " this pattern is so cute and is very nostalgic for me, I remember playing with this toy at my grandparent's house as a child. I love that Tupperware is still making them, we were gifted a purple and pink one after we had our daughter!".

 I think Lisa's Quilt looks great with the grey background. Lisa also said she liked the fact that the fabric allowances were so generous.





Many of the testers noted how many memories this quilt brings back. Joanne said her 39-year-old son saw hers and said: "I remember those". She is planning to auction her quilt off for charity.





My own second version of this quilt came about after I saw a new range of fabric from Windham Fabrics were released. The range was called 'Bounce' by Allison Harris from Cluck Cluck Sew. I was really excited about the range, as I loved the fabric combinations available and it seemed even more fitting when I read that Allison had designed this fabric after being inspired by watching her children play!




I searched all of my local quilt shops and every online quilt shop in NZ to no avail in my attempts to locate some of this fabulous range of fabric. In the end, I ordered it from the Fat Quarter Shop in the United States. Initially, I thought I would be waiting a few weeks for it to arrive, but my order(s) arrived quite quickly, within a week or so of placing the order. 

The Shape-O Quilt is now available in my Etsy store. I also included an option to use Applique on the smaller shape blocks on the outside, if that is your preferred method. 

Happy Piecing! 

RJ



No comments:

Post a Comment